This Saturday, May 3, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., on the lower grounds of the Armed Forces Retirement Home, Rock Creek Church Rd & Randolph St., NW, Washington, D.C.
- The cool jazz sounds of Herb Spice & The Cinnamonstix and
The Nicole Saphos GroupCecily.
- A large outdoor checkerboard and lawn bowling! Courtesy of President Lincoln’s Cottage, kids will get a chance to participate in two of Lincoln’s favorite games on the same campus he called home for a quarter of his presidency.
- Back by popular demand! A 60-minute nature walk of the Home’s lower grounds at 2 p.m. with Mary Pat Rowan, a landscape architect who will talk about native plants, and Philip Blair, a geology expert who will talk about the site’s fascinating underground.
- Children will be able to design their own crown and take a picture with Sleeping Beauty’s Princess Aurora and the Prince! Kirov Academy of Ballet of Washington, located just outside the Soldiers Home campus, will host this special exhibit.
- Free yoga beginners class on the lawn at 3 p.m., courtesy of Yoga Heights on Georgia Avenue in D.C.! Bring your mat or a beach towel or sit right down on the lawn.
- Carnival Games: Corn hole toss, lawn darts, putting mats, lawn dice, volleyball, horse shoes, bucket toss, ring toss, bocce, knock the pyramid.
- Local food vendors — Captain Cookie and the Milk Man, Crusty Dog DC and Pollo Loco.
- Local craft beer from DC Brau.
- Hiking, biking, picknicking and fun.
This is a FREE event, with a $5 donation per car for those who drive in.
Friends of the Soldiers Home is grateful to our sponsors for this event: Armed Forces Retirement Home Resident Fund Advisory Board, GreenLine Real Estate, Annie’s Hardware and DCMTB, D.C.’s only mountain bike racing team.